Bike to the Beach, Inc. (“Bike to the Beach” or “B2B”) is organized as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization exclusively for educational, charitable, and social purposes. Through numerous events, B2B promotes biking as a viable way of running errands, commuting, traveling, exercising, reducing carbon emissions, networking, and public service.
Our goal is to educate urban residents about the benefits of bike riding so that they might begin biking on a regular basis. Through the creation of this strong, pro-active, and like-minded network, we are able to focus our growing resources on raising money and awareness, not only for our own organization, but also for an annually-determined charitable cause.
Donations from our past and current efforts have been donated to Autism Speaks to aid in their tireless efforts to change the future for all who struggle with autism spectrum disorders.
Bike To The Beach is a 501(c)3 is a community-driven non-profit organization that raises funds and awareness for autism while promoting fun and the health benefits cycling through charity bike rides from urban areas to nearby beaches.
We believe that through our many events and our partnerships with Autism Speaks and other local autism charities, we can promote an active, socially and environmentally conscious community committed to a healthier life and finding solutions for the millions living with autism spectrum disorder.
Board of Directors
Robby Walsh, Executive Director, Board Member
Benjamin Dalley, Director of Operations, Board Member
Tommy Schmitz, Board Member
Joseph W. Schmitz, Board Member
Kevin H. Rapp, Board Member
Charles Klein, Communications Director
Ted Kent, Marketing and Fundraising Team
Josh Posnick, Fundraising Team
Christopher Copeland, Logistics Team
DC Planning Committee
Max Hart, Director
NY Planning Committee
Mike Mahar, Director
Frank Wilson, Director
Keegan Vance Forte, Director
Meghan Mullen, Director
Boston Planning Committee
Greg Furst, Director
Eric Spirko, Director
Lara Ballou, Director
Sean Smith, Director
Gregory Peter, Advisor
Baltimore Planning Committee
Jean-Marie Fahey, Director
Maggie McGarvie, Director
Bethany Husak, Director
Amey Sanders, Director
- In 1999, two friends (Ben and Joey) biked from Washington, DC to Bethany Beach, DE
- The next year Tommy (Joey’s brother) joined them for what was becoming an annual challenge
- Friends joined them for the ride throughout the following years
- In 2007, the original three and two friends (Kevin and Robby) started to take the steps to make B2B into a larger charitable organization.
- Bike to the Beach was founded in 2007 as a 501c3
- Its mission is to be a community driven non-profit that raises funds and awareness for charitable causes, while promoting fun and fitness through cycling.
- At the time Autism was just becoming a nationally talked about subject, but still very few people knew anything about it.
- The match seemed perfect. A new charity organization looking to grow; and a cause, Autism, that needed a voice and outlet to get people talking about it.
- Bike to the Beach decided to donate their fundraising efforts to “Cure Autism Now”.
- At the end of 2007 “Cure Autism Now” merged into Autism Speaks.
- Our cause had been found… Autism Speaks has been our primary beneficiary ever since
- 1999 DC’s first ride
- 2007 DC’s first fundraising dollars and 501c3 status
- 2010 NY’s first fundraising ride
- 2012 Boston’s first fundraising ride
- 2013 Baltimore’s first fundraising ride